Friday, July 22, 2011

I have arrived!

OMG! I am now in Djibouti. Getting here felt like a two day journey. On the flight here I watched Big Momma: Like Father Like Son, Bride Wars, Limitless, and an episode of Two and a Half Men. Towards the end of the flight, the child behind me started whining and crying that she wanted to land and get off the plane. She started every sentence with "Mama, Mama" and starting kicking the chair behind me. What did I do to deserve this? As I felt my headache forming, I was trying to figure out if I was more upset with the child or the mother who kept ignoring her cries. Nonetheless, I was able to shake it (My headache, not the child).

In between all that action and movies, I slept and ate. I had a window seat and the mother and son that I was sitting near were very nice. Considering that I don't talk to anyone on the airplane because I fall asleep, one achieves tha label of nice by waking me up when it's meal time. The food was full of carbs/starch but it helped me keep my malaria medicine down. Those pills are really getting the best of me!

When I arrived to Djibouti, I had a sign that greeted me. The airport is so small that I didn't have to travel far with all my luggage to the door. I really appreciated that!

Afterwards, Steve, my site lead, took me to drop off my bags and then I went to work! After all, it was noon here and I slept for at least 13 hours on the airplane. I was energized! In addition, I needed to inform everyone back home that I arrived safely. My coworkers seem very nice and they already have work for me to do. I even had my first piece of mail waiting on me!! (Thanks, LJ!!)

The weather is hot but every building at work is freezing cold so the outside weather becomes bearable.

Currently, I live alone as my housemate is on travel. I reside in a 4 bdrm, 3.5 bath luxury villa. I am a block away from the President of Djibouti and the US Embassy. In addition, the community we live in is guarded and gated, so I would say I live in the best, part of the city.

So far, everything is better than I imagined. I still have my moments where I miss my family and friends and shed a tear, but overall I am excited about this new adventure in my life.

So...who's coming to visit me??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Me!!!! well maybe not Djibouti but somewhere between :)