Thursday, July 7, 2011

Djibouti Dreams

In one week, I had three close friends contact me to inform me each had a dream of me with a baby. Of course this frightened me because children are nowhere on my radar in the near future...if even ever. However, I took to faithful Google and realized that dreams are not literal and usually indicative of one’s own thoughts. Dreams of a baby signifies a new beginning. And this happens to be what I am going through.

Last night, I dream that I died in a fire. I often times think about how I will prefer to die and by fire is always LAST on my list. The very moment that I was dying,instead of crying out in fear, I took a deep breath and mumbled “I love you”. Amazingly, this dream didn’t shake me as much as I would think but I still had to look up its meaning. The very first website I read stated "to dream of your own death indicates a transitional phase in your life". My mother added that fire is a sign of confusion.

If that's the case, dreams never lie. I have been given an opportunity to work in Djibouti, Africa for the next year of my life. While this project is both challenging and exciting, I must admit that my nerves have been very unsettled. The thought of leaving family and friends behind along with everything else that I know and love is kind of scary. I have lost ample sleep thinking about what I am going to do with my house, what I will do career-wise when I return to the states, wondering about the health and well-being of my family, etc. For the most part, I have had a supportive network of family and friends (but there are a few naysayers).

In addition, I have trouble packing for an overnight trip, so imagine the anxiety attacks I have trying to decide what I will need for the next year in my life. My job provided me with a basic checklist, but I am not a basic chick so there are other items I needed to add to this list.

Nonetheless, I wanted to share with you that the next year of my blog will be based in Djibouti, Africa. I still refuse to join Facebook so I will try to update this blog with as many lively tales and vivid photos as possible. Can you imagine the tales I will have to share with you?

1 comment:

Sweetdas said...

I'm so happy for and supportive of you. Your new adventure will be awesome, don't worry about us we will be right here when you return. Love you bunches BFF!