Friday, July 29, 2011

Camp Lemmonier

I am currently working at Camp Lemmonier. There are approximately 4,000 people that work on base and 3,500 of them currently live on base. In total, there are 200 females that are estimated to be in this number. In other words, I will be a total loser if I don't return to the States with Mr. Gibbs. I spend 12 hours a day here (Monday-Friday and some Saturdays).
Working on base has a few rules that I find interesting as a contractor. For instance:

1. There are 3 dining facilities were I eat all my meals. You must wash your hands before you can enter and you have to wear socks. No excuses. You will be turned around if you don't follow these rules. Please remember it averages 113 degrees here. Socks are the last thing on my mind. I am still trying to figure out why covered toes are a big deal.

2. No bags are allowed in the dining facility. I assume they are worried someone might steal the food. (I doubt it)

3. Those that live on base are not able to leave base unless they have a battle-buddy that will sign them off. So once these people find out you are a contractor that live off-base you are a true hot commodity. No worries, I won't be signing anyone off base.

4. Everything is dirty! This is actually what I needed in order to stop biting my finger nails. There is no way, I will bite my nails with all this dirt around me. On average, I spend 3 hours out of my day, cleaning something (Me, nails, hair, computer, etc). During the day, there is an occassional wind that blows the dirt all around camp. This place is a contact lens wearer's worst nightmare. I wear sunshades all day and the dirt still bothers me. By 8AM, my clothes are so dirty I just feel as if I need to go home and start my day over.

5. There is a full service post office here, but I am not allowed to retrieve my mail. It must be delivered to me. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

6. Water bottles are everywhere! So much free water there is no excuse for anyone to be dehydrated.

7. Cell phones must be turned off when entering Camp. I have heard a couple of rumors about bombs that will detonate if the phone rings at the entry point. I have also been told they inject us with radiation at the vehicle check point. For now, all this is speculation, but I am sure one of these things is somewhat true considering we get hazard pay for working here.

8. Last and most imporant, we are not allowed to drink alcohol off-base. Not even in our own house!!! And if you drink on-base, you can't have more than 3 beers withing a 24 hour period. Seriously?!?

To me these are the most peculiar rules, so overall, working on base is interesting.

1 comment:

Sweetdas said...

I so need you to get confirmation on these speculations.....they bother me!!!