Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Office Etiquette

This is my first time working in a cubicle setting and I must say…I don’t like it. Even though I blog about my life, I still consider myself a fairly private person. When in an office cubicle setting, your business is not your own. In the spirit of Emily Post etiquette lessons, I have created a few ways in which one should conduct oneself to remain courteous and respect to co-workers. Please feel free to add on to this list.

1. Speak when entering a room. You were taught manners; please don’t shame your parents.

2. Not to contradict number one, but please don’t speak pertinent business to someone (ME) on the way to their (MY) desk. You should allow this person to get to their desk, put down their pocketbook, and turn on their computer.

3. If you send me an email, you do not have to come to my desk to ask if I received it. Please trust that the Internet/server/world wide web will do its magic and I will receive it in less than 30 seconds.

4. Do not bring fish to lunch. Period.

5. Use your inside voice when talking on the phone. Your co-workers do not care to know the personal affairs in your life.

6. Casual Friday does not justify wearing skinny sweatpants. Don’t mess it up for everyone!

7. Those who gossip to you, will gossip about you. Do not participate in office gossip or rumors.

8. Keep personal and work life separate. No matchmaking, no dating co-workers, and no hanging out with them on weekends. Trust me. This is best.

9. Don’t hover while a co-worker is on the phone or typing a personal document. Leave a note and they will get to you when they are free and available.

10. Mute your cell phone. No one wants to hear Khia “My Neck, My Back” every 15 minutes when your phone rings.

1 comment:

Kiesha @ Highly Favored said...

Ah cubicle life... I reluctant admit I'm in the same boat with the same complaints. Add burnt popcorn to go along side with #4! How about I know all about one of my co-workers new grandbabies and about the issues at her church, even though she tries her very best to whisper during personal phone calls. It's not her - I love her, it's the open cubicles I hate! Oh, and who still has Khia as a ringtone? ...all you ladies pop your.... like this...shake yo body... Yeah, I shouldn't know those words. I didn't always go to church every Sunday...

P.S. I lived in Columbia, SC for a year and I don't mean to put your hometown down, but it was the most racist experience of my life!