Saturday, January 2, 2010

No more Superstitions


I grew up in the South, so every new year I stuff my face and my gut with collard greens and hoppin John. Together, I believed this meal would bring me money and good luck. Now, I want to preface by saying, that I am not complaining, but I just think that as much as I ate collard greens, I should be able to afford an iMac computer. You get my drift?

So for 2010, I decided to do things opposite as I have done in the past. I wanted to prove that I don’t believe in Superstitions and instead rely on my faith in God. Therefore, I rang in my new year, at home, alone. No friends, no family, no champagne. My house was not as clean as it should have been, I had week-old sheets on my bed, clothes not hung up, floors not mopped or vacuumed. In addition, my car was not filled with gas and my Christmas tree and decorations were still up.

It was a struggle to not do as I have been accustomed the past 29 years, but I am on a mission to prove a point. So stay with me. However, as hard as I tried not to continue my superstitious ways, there was one tradition that I just couldn’t afford to gamble with. And that is wearing red underwear to bring me love in the new year.

I have even contemplated wearing red underwear the entire month of January and February, just to ensure “I win in 2010”.

1 comment:

Keasley said...

Thank you! I'm totally fed up with superstitions - my family thinks I'm crazy because they are all still terrified of black cats and splitting the pole. They don't yet understand how my faith in God and his plans for my life cannot be deterred by a black-eyed pea.